Monday, April 14, 2008
Springtime Bama
As the clock's spring forward an hour, the grass starts to green, and the weather increasingly gets warmer, Springtime is officially here. People break out the shorts from their closets and begin to work on that tan. Springtime also marks the start of the running of the high school seniors. They leave their hometowns and begin to hit up college campuses around the country to try and find the college that best fits them. And for the University of Alabama, they have one of the best recruiting tools going for them in the Spring. Alabama Springtime is hard to top. The sun is almost always shining, the weather is warmer than most other parts of the country, and the flowers and trees bloom earlier here. As high school seniors parade around campus for their campus tours, its hard to top the beauty of the campus during the Spring. This has to have some effect on enrollment numbers. It is really hard to say no to a campus that looks like this when you're walking in 75 degree weather. I know that it definitely had an effect on where I decided to attend college. After I received all of my acceptance letters from the colleges I applied to, I went back and visited them all again. I narrowed my choices down to the University of Alabama and the University of Illinois. I visited U of I first, on a Saturday at the end of March. It was a dreary, cloudy day, with temperatures hovering around 20 degrees, with the wind chill sitting about 9 degrees. I nearly froze walking around campus on my "official tour." The next weekend, the first in April, I headed down to Bama. The day of my tour, it was 75 degrees, sunny, and a nice breeze. This definitely played a role in where I choose to go to school(ROLL TIDE). Everyday when I walk through the quad to class, I can't help but think how much of an advantage UA has on other schools when it comes to Spring recruiting. It is really hard to top Bama Springtime, and I'm glad I will get to experience it for many years to come.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment